Thread: PALM news

1. Default PALM news

Email This Article | Print This Article | Reprints [-] Text [+]
    NEW YORK, Sept 12 (Reuters) - Palm Inc. (PALM.O: Quote, Profile, Research) on Tuesday unveiled a new smart phone under a partnership with British mobile phone giant Vodafone Plc (VOD.L: Quote, Profile, Research), marking Palm's biggest effort to get a foothold in the European market.

Palm introduced the Treo 750v smartphone, which can surf the Web, send and receive email, and manage personal data.

It said the new model was built specifically for European users and has a sleeker design than current Treos. The handset runs on Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Windows Mobile software platform for mobile phones.

The phone will be available first to Vodafone customers in Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and other regions by the end of the calendar year.

2. Default

Palm and Vodaphone each invested "tens of millions" of dollars to market the new phone, according to Page Murray, Palm vice president of worldwide marketing.

"Smartphones are a tiny piece of the U.S. marketplace but they are a much bigger piece of the European marketplace," Murray said. "This launch is the biggest launch we've ever made from the perspective of our investment in marketing."

3. Default

The new Treo aims to meet growing demand for devices that receive email wirelessly. Research In Motion Ltd.'s (RIM.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) Blackberry is best known for its email capabilities.

Competition in the smart phone market is heating up as rival Motorola Inc. (MOT.N: Quote, Profile, Research) started selling its "Q" in July and Nokia (NOK1V.HE: Quote, Profile, Research) launched the E61 in April.

"Expanding the Treo footprint globally is a key focus for Palm," said Ed Colligan, Palm's chief executive, in a statement.

4. Default

PALM looks to make another run at that 14.84 resistance. PALM MSFT and XING i just hope this new phone is a hot seller in europe and xing is getting some of the business. One thing is for sure msft and xing have not said anything about this since last oct when xing got a 70 mil dollar deal from msft. Time will tell hope im right.

5. Default

When last I wrote about Palm (Nasdaq: PALM), the Motley Fool Stock Advisor selection was returning from a brief European vacation and readying a new Treo for the European market. Well, it's here, and at least the phone, if not its prospects for Palm, looks pretty good.

Actually, the Treo 750v looks frighteningly like Research In Motion's (Nasdaq: RIMM) BlackBerry. (Seriously.) But that's where the similarities end. Instead of the "catch-up" release that I feared Palm would resort to in an attempt to keep pace with RIM, Nokia (NYSE: NOK), and Motorola (NYSE: MOT), the new Treo boasts a number of new software features that seem worthwhile.

For example, Palm says that Treo users will use touch-screen buttons to rewind or fast-forward through voice mail and to rapidly develop text messages in response to ignored calls. Such features are conveniences mostly, but it's also exactly the kind of geeky stuff that a smartphone owner like me -- I own a Treo 600 -- craves.